The different types of Superfood Powders
Superfood powders – You may have heard about superfood powders somewhere online, from friends, family or perhaps you’re already taking some yourself. If you’ve never heard of them before, I’m hoping to convince you of their wonderful health benefits and why you should be taking one every day. Superfood powders typically consist of a bulk, powdered version of a superfood(s) in a raw, natural state. The powdered version makes them easy to mix in water, smoothies, juice or any other beverage for consumption. Most are carefully processed, freeze-dried or cold temperature processed to ensure that all the whole food nutrients are kept intact and fully undenatured. These nutrients: vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, polyphenols, bioflavonoids and many others, are incredibly healthy micronutrients that can help inhibit cellular damage and oxidative stress in your body. They can also help boost your natural energy levels, protect your immune system and provide a host of other healthy benefits.
The best way to think of superfood powders is to think of all the wonderful whole foods that make up each powder. Picture each whole food berry, plant, root and vegetable in its undenatured state, and then picture all of the nourishing nutrients from each one of those superfoods in a convenient powder form. It makes perfect sense to supplement with superfood powders because let’s be honest, we all are probably deficient in the fruits and vegetables department. Maybe not all the time, but some days we all fall short of getting our daily requirement of fruits and veggies. Having a superfood powder on hand ensures that we can always meet our fruit and veggie needs. Plus, if someone is on a low carb diet or not eating fruit, it is a great way to still get all the essential nutrients from fruit without the calories or carbs.
The benefits of superfood powders
Superfood powders are highly sought after health supplements because they contain so many different nutrients from high quality fruits and veggies. Most contain wholly intact fiber, healthy fats and undenatured protein that is highly bioavailable when processed as is in your digestive system. Superfood powders have many benefits, here are just a few:
- Provides a natural whole food supply of antioxidants, fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals and other vitally important micronutrients.
- Provides a quick and easy way to meet your fruit and veggie daily needs.
- Typical superfood powders contain many different whole food extracts from all around the world, so your body is able to get a well balanced mix of nutrients from plants and soils that have diverse nutrient profiles.
- Naturally Energizing.
- Boosts immune system health.
- They cost much less than superfood capsules!
The best superfood powders on the market
When looking for the best superfood powder, you need to factor in both quality and price. First, try and figure out what kind of superfoods you’re looking for. Do you want a single ingredient superfood powder or do you want a blend? If so, what kind of blend? Green foods only? Just berries? Raw? Protein-rich?
The list goes on and on, and the various types of superfood powders available range from simple things like the aforementioned qualities to even complex matters like superfoods extracted from a specific geographic location or extracted using cold processing technology (raw/undenatured). If you don’t know what that means, it means it’s going to be more expensive. In all honesty, I’d go with one of the following blends because they combine a good mix of price/quality:
- Garden of Life Perfect Food Powder – Super Green Formula: Chock full of barley, alfalfa, wheat grass, spirulina, chlorella, algae, ginger and many other grasses and greens. One of our favorites because it is so pure and nutrient rich.
- NOW Green PhytoFoods Powder: Best value for the bulk amount of quality mixed greens powder included (2 pounds). Full of superfoods like alfalfa, wheat grass, barley, apple pectin, red beet, chlorella, milk thistle, grapeseed, broccoli and much more.
- Body First Chlorella Powder – Organic: Pure, organic chlorella powder. Can’t beat the price either. One of our top picks!
- Biochem 100% Greens & Whey: A great blend of natural green superfoods and 100% whey protein. Makes for a great smoothie boost.
- Barlean’s Greens – Nature’s Perfect Superfood: Probably the highest quality superfood powder on the market. It’s also one of the most expensive. However, if you’re looking for the best of the best, you’ve found it.
- Klamath Blue Green Algae Powder: 100% pure blue green algae from Klamath, Oregon. Over 60% protein by weight and one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet.
- Futurebiotics Certified Organic Digestive Greens: A tablet form of wheat grass, spirulina, barley grass and fennel sprout. Just in case you can’t handle all the powders
- Nutricology: ProGreens Powder: A great mix of greens rich in natural protein and healthy fats. Definitely check this one out if you’re looking for a smaller trial size tub of premium greens powder.
- Nutra Forme Cyto Greens for Athletes: An energy-packed superfood powder rich in natural greens, enzymes, fiber, and detoxifying herbs like milk thistle. A great all around greens powder for athletes, bodybuilders or even regular people looking for a natural energy boost.
- MRM Daily Energy Greens – 100% All Natural: 15,000 ORAC units per serving, 100% all natural greens.
- Eclectic Institute: Eclectic Institute makes many different freeze-dried superfood POW-ders (as they call them) that contain only 100% organic, natural & free-dried pure food extracts. An incredibly popular brand with plenty of healthy superfood powders to choose from.
- Body First Psyllium Husk Powder: Pure psyllium husks at an incredibly affordable price.
- NOW Fruit & Greens Phytofoods: A combination of both fruits and veggies at a great price.
- Jarrow Green Defense: A popular green superfood blend that has been formulated specifically with immune boosting plant powders.
- Green Foods Green Magma: Barley grass tablets that are rich in protein and chlorophyll. If you’re looking for a tablet greens powder, here you go!
- Nature’s life Green Whey Pro-96: Whey protein and greens superfoods, can you beat that combo? Makes for a delicious, healthy breakfast boost.
- Olympian Labs – Greens Protein 8 in 1: A hemp protein fortified greens protein powder. One of our most popular because it contains hemp, pea and brown rice protein and tastes great!
- Kyo-Green Energy (Powder): A great greens powder for those looking to increase their natural energy levels.
- Source Naturals Life Greens and Berries: A great blend of green foods and red, black, blue and purple berries containing a wide spectrum of powerful antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Pines Might Greens Superfood Blend: Premium blend of cereal grasses, alfalfa, spirulina, chlorella, royal jelly and many other superfoods.
- Paradise Herbs Orac-Energy Greens Powder: One of our most popular and complete greens powder containing fiber, enzymes, superfoods, probiotics and many extracts rich in nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and more.
- Irwin Naturals Organics – Greens & Fruits: This blend contains acai, blackberry, blueberry, lemon, peach, pineapple, alfalfa, spirulina, beet, broccoli, spinach, flax, green tea, ginger, papaya and more. Great blend for assisting with digestion, immune health and boosting natural energy levels.
Yeah, there are definitely quite a few different superfood powders to browse through, and that’s not even a complete list. Realize that since there are so many superfood powders available, you need to find a few that you really like, ones that you enjoy taking each day, and then rotate between them. That way you can keep yourself motivated and consistent while also getting superfood nutrients from a variety of sources. I like to rotate through one greens superfood powder, one berry superfood powder, and one protein superfood powder. There’s no right or wrong “whey” (ha. ha) to take superfood powders, so have fun tasting different products and post a comment with your favorites!
Disclaimer: All information provided on the blog is for informational purposes only and is not guaranteed to be correct. AllStarHealth.com will not be held liable for any problems that may arise from the consumption of the nutritional supplements sold on our web site. Placing an order at AllStarHealth.com signifies that you have read and agree to all of the policies listed on our policy page. Any and all legal issues pertaining to this web site shall be dealt with in the jurisdiction that AllStarHealth.com corresponds to.