Nutrition Tips to Boost Testosterone Naturally
When it comes to building lean muscle, burning fat, boosting energy and sex drive, testosterone is King. Thankfully, testosterone is produced naturally in our bodies, by both men and women alike. Although men produce much more natural testosterone than women, the hormone is vitally important in both sexes. A healthy level of free testosterone is associated with lean muscle and fat-free mass, reduced body fat, strengthened immune system, higher energy levels and increased exercise capacity, heart health, healthy blood pressure and an increased sex drive.
This testosterone stuff is starting to sound pretty good, so, how do you get your body to make more of it? Great question, and a loaded one indeed. Having your body naturally produce more testosterone is simple in theory, but tricky in practice. In order to optimize natural testosterone production, you need to ensure that your diet, sleep schedule, workouts, and supplement regimen are all in alignment.
Foods That Increase Natural Testosterone Production
A healthy and balanced diet is crucial when looking to optimize natural testosterone production. Make sure you eat ample amounts of healthy carbohydrates such as brown rice, oatmeal, whole wheat bread and pasta, ancient grains, and sweet potatoes. Also important in manufacturing testosterone is consumption of both unsaturated and saturated fats as well as cholesterol. Yeah, I said cholesterol. Remember, consumption of dietary cholesterol is very different than blood cholesterol (LDL/HDL) and consuming a healthy amount of cholesterol from oysters, eggs, and many other foods is needed to produce sex hormones such as testosterone. Believe it or not, cholesterol is the building block of all sex hormones, including testosterone, and without cholesterol your body can’t produce testosterone. Last but not least, don’t forget to eat plenty of lean protein from lean meats, fish, and organic milk. If you’re vegetarian, try and eat plenty of black beans, wild and brown rice, and high protein fruits/veggies like avocados, goji berries, hemp and chia seeds. The key is balance, and higher testosterone comes along with a balanced diet rich in all macro-nutrients.
Superfoods that support healthy levels of testosterone include:
- Oysters: Rich in zinc and protein, oysters have been known for centuries to support health and sexual well-being.
- Organic Eggs: Rich in healthy fats, cholesterol, and highly bio-available albumin protein. Eggs contain all the building blocks of testosterone as well as help repair muscle better than any other naturally ingested protein.
- Liver: Full of glutamine and healthy fats. Try some liver pate served with whole wheat crackers, bleu cheese and a nice glass of red wine. Please, only one glass of wine.
- Garlic: Rich in allicin, shown to improve blood flow. Garlic also naturally reduces LDL cholesterol, meaning more good cholesterol for testosterone production.
- Chocolate: Known for centuries to be a natural aphrodisiac, the rich smell of chocolate alone is enough to set the mood.
- Broccoli & Cabbage: Both contain indole-3-carbinol, shown to reduce estrogen levels and in return raise testosterone.
- Avocados: High in vitamin B6, folic acid, and plenty of healthy monounsaturated fats to send your testosterone levels soaring through the roof.
- Almonds: Almonds are full of the building blocks of testosterone. Eat them everyday if you can. They are also a great food choice for dieters and also for people looking to add lean muscle.
- Organic Beef: Preferably grass-fed, but a little organic corn-fed marble never hurt anyone, right? Organic beef is loaded with amino acids, natural creatine, and saturated fats that promote optimal levels of testosterone.
- Organic Milk: Full of healthy fats and casein + whey protein, milk’s got it what it takes to boost your testosterone.
Supplements That Increase Natural Testosterone Production
When it comes to dietary supplements that boost natural testosterone, you’ll stumble across a multitude of options all making a storm of various claims. It’s important to understand the difference between these products and pick the one that’s right for you. Looking at all the testosterone boosting supplements on the market, you can categorize them into one of two basic groups:
- Testosterone boosting blends: These proprietary blends contain synergistic mixes of vitamins, minerals, and herbs sought to raise testosterone levels naturally. These blends are typically higher in price, but contain well-researched ingredients and a unique blend. Popular proprietary blends include: NOW Foods Testo Jack 100, Testo Jack 200, Isatori Isa-Test GF, Isatori Sub-Test, Advanced Muscle Science AromX, Axis Labs Hypertest, John Scott’s Nitro Test-2, and LG Sciences Trifecta Stack.
- Single ingredient & standalone supplements: With single ingredient testosterone boosting supplements you can purchase more of a single ingredient at a lower price and make your own test boosting combos at home. This allows you to save money and take more of certain ingredients that you feel work the best for you. Below you’ll find a detailed list of testosterone boosting ingredients, a description, and a relevant product link:
- D-Aspartic Acid: D-Aspartic Acid plays a pivotal role in the manufacturing process of testosterone, studies have shown that 3g of D-Aspartic Acid a day can boost testosterone levels by as much as 33% in as little as 12 days. Recommended product: PrimaForce D-Aaspartic Acid
- Tribulus Terrestris: Tribulus is perhaps the most well-known and popular natural testosterone booster. This fruiting body works best when taken from a premium source, which is why we recommend BodyStrong Tribulus Terrestris.
- ZMA: A combination of zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6, conveniently combined to provide proven results in natural testosterone production. Best when taken at nighttime on an empty stomach with a glass of water. Recommended product: BodyStrong ZMA
- Resveratrol: Shown to reduce estrogen levels which in turns boosts testosterone through natural feedback loops. Recommended product: Body First Reveratrol with Red Wine Extract
- Horny Goat Weed (Epimedium extract): A popular aphrodisiac that combines nicely with other natural testosterone boosters. Recommended product: Dymatize Excite
- Maca Root: Used for energy, stamina, and it’s adaptogenic properties. Recommended product: Nature’s Way Maca Root
- Muira Puama: Natural aphrodisiac and energy enhancer. Recommended product: NOW Foods Men’s Virility Power
- Panax Ginseng: A powerful energy and stamina enhancer. Recommended product: NOW Foods Panex Ginseng
- Indole-3-carbinol: Similar to resveratrol in its ability to lower estrogen and increase testosterone through natural feedback loops. Recommended product: NOW Foods Indole-3-Carbinol
- Chrysin: A passion flower bioflavonoid shown to increase testosterone when taken regularly. Recommended product: Jarrow Chrysin 500
Do you have any questions about this article or boosting your natural testosterone? Leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you!