Preparing for Cold and Flu Season
Flu and cold viruses are common during the fall and winter. You start sneezing and feeling symptoms such as a sore throat, runny nose, congestion, headaches and much more. Around this time of the year, as soon as we start experiencing these symptoms most of us rely on Supplements, warm food and teas, and many other remedies to help us feel better while also fighting viruses.
Physiologically, our bodies contain natural metals such as iron and copper that have specific duties such as protection from invaders, but sometimes that is not enough for common viral infections such as the rhinovirus. Having a weak immune system increases the chances of being infected.
To better understand how supplements work in getting rid of colds, we have broken them down into different categories.
The Immune System Boosters
- Elderberry contains Vitamins A and C, it is known to be one of the most powerful plants to prevent the common cold, some of its duties include reduction of pain and inflammation. Honey Gardens Elderberry Syrup 8 fl.oz
- Copper, zinc and Vitamin D are antioxidants that become activated to boost our immune system. We carry products such as Quantum Thera Zinc Lozenges. They reduce chances of getting upper respiratory infections. It is important to consume vitamin D because it lowers the risk of developing such infections. The recommended dosage of vitamin D is 400IUs a day. Now Vitamin D-3 (400IU) contains 180 soft gels, enough to last you through the season.
- Echinacea fights against germs. It also increases the production of white cells which assist in fighting infections. Zand Herbalozenge Elderberry Zinc 15 lozenges will soothe your throat.
Reduce Duration of your Cold
- Our bodies don’t make Vitamin C, consuming this vitamin will reduce inflammation and it also acts as an antihistamine to assist in relieving nasal congestion. It is recommended to take doses of 500mg for better results.
- Zinc prevents viruses from reproducing.
- Goldenseal, Now Goldenseal Root (500mg) 100 caps soothes mucus membranes and helps with other respiratory infections.
The symptoms we experience during a cold or flu are due to our body’s immune response and healing process. For example, we cough to try and clear out mucus and prevent it from carrying germs to the lungs. Having hot drinks like Traditional Medicinals Organic Seasonal Tea, with Y.S. Eco Bee Farms Organic Raw Honey will soothe your sore throat.
Another natural remedy is soup, it helps with clearing mucus congestion and eases symptoms.
Rest as much as you can, stay hydrated and warm!
If your symptoms don’t improve within 14 days, be sure to contact your doctor.
We also carry Cold and Flu Products for Children.
Disclaimer: All information provided on the blog is for informational purposes only and is not guaranteed to be correct. AllStarHealth.com will not be held liable for any problems that may arise from the use of products sold on our website. Always consult your physician before trying any new products. Placing an order at AllStarHealth.com signifies that you have read and agree to all of the policies listed on our policy page. Any and all legal issues pertaining to this web site shall be dealt with in the jurisdiction that AllStarHealth.com corresponds to.