As people age, joint problems are extremely common, even if they eat a healthy diet and get regular exercise. Aches and pains in your joints can be caused by a number of things, including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, bursitis, sprains, strains and various kinds of injuries. Knee pain is reported as the most common among adults, but painful joints can include hands, shoulders, feet, ankles and other parts of the body (1). Fortunately, there are advanced joint support formulas that contain proven ingredients such as chondroitin, glucosamine and Celadrin which provide strong support for the joint tissues throughout your body (2, 3, 4).
Health Benefits of Joint Support Formulas
For people who are experiencing discomfort in their joints, these products may lessen the pain and provide some relief with continued use. Those who are not yet experiencing joint issues might benefit from these joint support supplements, in that they may provide some protection against future problems.
The Most Popular Joint Support Supplements
In addition to traditional bone and joint support vitamins and minerals like vitamin C (an antioxidant, vitamin D and calcium), these ingredients have been found to be helpful to promote healthy joints and are found in many joint support formulas:
- Glucosamine – A very popular supplement especially for knee joints, glucosamine is a fatty acid that's part of cartilage and other joint components. It helps to rebuild bones and prevents wear and tear of the delicate cartilage. Glucosamine also prevents inflammation in the joints and the surrounding muscles.
- Chondroitin Sulfate – Frequently found with glucosamine, this also helps to rebuild cartilage. It can also prevent joint pain. Chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine taken together as a supplement can reduce pain and strengthen joints.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) – This important ingredient provides the raw material that's used to produce the body's cartilage. It's found in most organic matter and helps to build the collagen that is the bones' binding tissue. It is frequently used to treat arthritis and osteoarthritis.
- S-adenosyl-methionine (SAMe) – This non-toxic structural protein is a co-enzyme used to produce body tissue. It helps to repair joints while reducing pain and inflammation. SAMe is commonly used to treat arthritis, and it can also reduce muscle pain, stiffness and fatigue.
- Tri-methyl-glycine (TMG) – Frequently used with SAMe, TMG assists with SAMe's functions. It is known as a bone strengthener and helps body tissue absorb nutrients.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – This popular supplement helps reduce joint wear and tear, and prevents collagenases enzymes from damaging joints. It's commonly used as a supplement for knee health and can strengthen tendons and reduce inflammation.
- Silicon – This mineral is an essential part of most body tissue, binding bone tissues and providing strength. When used in trace amounts, it's been known to further strengthen bone tissue. Silicon has been used to treat osteoporosis, strains, sprains and to improve hair, nail and skin quality. Some evidence suggests that it might play a role in the formation of bone and collagen (5).
How to Use Joint Support Formulas
Use as directed.
- 1. WebMD. Pain Management: Joint Pain.
- 2. Am Fam Physician. 2008 Jan 15;77(2):177-84.
- 3. Curr Med Res Opin. 2008 May;24(5):1303-8. Epub 2008 Apr 15.
- 4. J Rheumatol. 2002 Aug;29(8):1708-12.
- 5. WebME. Vitamins & Supplements: Silicon.