The purpose of an antioxidant is to inhibit oxidation. When an oxygen molecule loses an electron due to normal processes in the body, they become free radicals, taking an electron from another molecule to stabilize itself. This begins the process of oxidation, and a high level of free radicals can damage cells and cellular DNA. Oxidation causes various conditions, from wrinkles to life-threatening illnesses like heart disease and cancer.
Health Benefits of Antioxidants
Antioxidants stabilize free radicals before they can damage the body. While everyone's body produces antioxidants, they're not sufficient to fight the damage from many sources, such as excessive sun exposure, insufficient exercise, poor diet, environmental pollution and smoking.
Examples of antioxidants include vitamin C, vitamin E, beta carotene, CoQ-10 and lycopene. These help to neutralize free radicals that can cause chronic disease. Supplement your diet with powerful antioxidants that can fight or prevent various conditions and enhance your health throughout your life.
Benefits of Popular Antioxidants:
- Coenzyme Q-10 – This is used by the cells to produce energy for their growth and maintenance, and protects the body from harmful molecules that can cause damage.
- Melatonin – Well known as a sleep aid, melatonin is an anti-inflammatory agent that can relieve pain. As a powerful antioxidant, it also helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – In addition to preventing certain types of cell damage, it restores vitamins C and E, plus it can improve the function of neurons in diabetic patients.
- Resveratrol – There are various benefits, including the reduction of oxidative stress to prevent premature cellular aging. It also reduces muscle wasting, protects the arteries' endothelial lining and provides cellular support to enhance mental function.
- Astaxanthin – Benefits of astaxanthin include support for joint health, improved exercise recovery and endurance and increased energy.
- Vitamin C – This safe and effective nutrient helps the body repair and regenerate tissues, neutralizes the effects of nitrites and supports a health immune system, in addition to fighting off free radicals that can cause aging.
- Grape Seed Extract – This beneficial extract guards against cellular damage, helps those with certain kinds of poor circulation, aids in high cholesterol and reduces swelling from injury.
Important: Use antioxidants as indicated in product instructions. Consult your doctor before using an antioxidant in addition to a prescription medication.